Sunday, September 11, 2011

Because Jane Is Always A Good Idea


I am currently sipping Passion Tazo Tea out of my favorite mug, and taking a break from my ever-present need to study. If there's anything to help relax the mind in between American History notes and literary criticism essays it has got to be Jane Austen (I realize that this is probably a very stereotypical-English-major thing to say, but there it is). But when you are a college student like me, you don't have time to just pick up Emma for fun. So instead, you just have to settle for snippets of Jane Austen and her brilliance. Of which, I have many. Way too many, actually. Here's some I've been reading today (I figured I probably shouldn't unload all fifty-seven of them on you).

"I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives." -Jane Austen, Persuasion

"I have not the pleasure of understanding you." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"I pay very little regard to what any young person says on the subject of marriage. If they profess a disinclination for it, I only set it down that they have not yet seen the right person." -Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

"A woman, especially if she has the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can." -Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

"But when a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way." -Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Jane Austen has such a interesting take on life, and I find myself constantly amazed by how often I laugh when I read her novels. Who would have thought that Victorian women had the nerve to be sarcastic? And so terribly witty. I just love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment