Saturday, August 6, 2011

I Flipped

It all started on New Year's Eve. Even on New Year's Eve my family is not quite the type that stays up til the wee hours of the morning. Or even until midnight, for that matter. True, it was kinda a major holiday, but did half the family go to bed around nine o'clock like usual? Absolutely, yes. Did it matter that the rest of America, and possibly the world, was up until midnight to welcome in the new year? No. Not really. The three remaining members of our family -- my dad, my sister, and I -- were the only ones awake by ten o'clock. I contemplated going to bed, but talked myself out of it. No, I had to stay awake. And I figured that watching a movie would probably be my best strategy.

So I browsed through some movies on itunes, attempting to find something to rent. I really wasn't in the mood to take a risk and waste four dollars, plus an hour and a half on a movie that was just okay. Especially on New Year's. Then I came across a movie that looked interesting. I was drawn to it by the cover. I had never heard of it before, never heard of any of the cast, and the director Rob Reiner really didn't mean that much to me as I've never seen When Harry Met Sally. After hunting down reviews (which was mostly unsuccessful as I believe it only hit select theaters), I decided to give it a go. The cover was pretty, and that was enough to convince me that it could have potential.

Let's just say it took the movie all of ten seconds to pull me in. When "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" started playing, I knew this movie was going to be a winner. It was. It was just perfect, and I fell in love. Ladies and gentleman, may I introduce: Flipped.

Since that New Year's Eve, slightly over six months ago, I have watched Flipped at least a dozen times, possibly more. Juli's determination to win over Bryce Loski's heart and get her first kiss from this boy with the "world's most dazzling eyes" never ceases to charm me. Of course, Bryce wants nothing to do with this "mud monkey." The movie (and book) so appropriately begin with Bryce's declaration: "All I ever wanted was for Juli Baker to leave me alone." Their story is humorous, witty, and thought-provoking.

Usually I make a point to read books before I watch their movie. In this instance, I didn't even realize that there was a book until I had watched the movie a couple of times. I ordered the book earlier this week, and the day it came in, I began reading it. The next day, I had finished it. When I finished reading Flipped, I couldn't quite decide which I preferred: the book or the movie. That's a first for me; I pretty much always prefer the book. So I watched the movie again last night to try to make up my mind. They're both just good; that's the only resolution I can come up with. None of the book's charm is lost in the movie. There are many parts, in fact, that are word-for-word the book. Both the movie and the book are just wonderful. Some advice for you: treat yourself; watch this movie or read this book or do both. It is well worth your time.


"Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss. But every once in a while you find someone who’s iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare." - Wendelin van Draanen, Flipped

No comments:

Post a Comment