Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Happenings.

It seems that every three months or so I go through an I-need-to-recommit-to-my-blog phase, which shows how effective this supposed "recommitment" is. The odd thing is that I am usually quite consistent about these sorts of things. Apparently not when it comes to the blogosphere. I mean, a quote every three months hardly justifies the existence of a blog at all. Even if they are really good quotes.

But all the same, with the arrival of summer, I have had the time to invest in some projects. Let's just say I've gotten rather artsy-craftsy. Well, kind of. I only have two finished products to boast in so far, but I'm still quite proud of myself. The first is lampshade that I covered in a delightful yellow geometric pattern for my room. The second is a white and black striped bolster pillow. I used to sew quite a bit when I was younger, but it had been years since I pulled out the machine. I was delighted with myself for remembering what little sewing knowledge I have retained over the years. All that to say, little projects have kept me feeling productive.

Not to mention the books that I feel that I have been living and breathing the past month, the most notable of which is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I was hesitant. Number one, I knew very little about Ayn Rand before I picked up her book, so I had no idea what I was in for. I imagined myself spending my whole summer poring over a book that contained scientific, mathematical jargon with a hint of the philosophical. Not to bash philosophy, of course. I find philosophy absolutely captivating. When I can understand it, that is. My second concern was perhaps more disheartening than the first. It had everything to do with the fact that this unassuming little book contained 1069 pages. Yeah, enough said. Though it might be worth noting that the font could not have been bigger than 8. Seriously, it was tiny. The combination of the unknown and the fact that this book was massive was slightly daunting. Let's just say I felt a serious sense of accomplishment when I finished that 1069-page brick after midnight two days ago. And just for the record, that book was excellent. There was definitely a lot that I didn't agree with, but I now have a deep-seated respect for Ayn Rand's brilliance. I tried to explain aspects of the book's plot to my family and just got confused looks. I guess you would just have to read it yourself.

"If I read a book that impresses me, I have to take myself firmly by the hand, before I mix with other people; otherwise they would think my mind rather queer."
Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment