Monday, March 1, 2010

We Deserve One Thing

The world tells us that we have certain rights. We have a right to think whatever we want. We have a right to say whatever we feel like, whether it's the truth or not. We have the right to personal property. We have the right to privacy. We have the right to at least a little bit of "me-time" every day. In fact, it is considered "unhealthy" if we don't have that worked into our daily schedule. We have the right to an education, as well as the right to get a good job. In essence, we are told by the world around us that we have the right to do whatever it takes to be happy. When things don't work out the way we think they should, we feel: angry. Because we "deserve" better. Thanks to Starbucks billboards, we even think that we are entitled to a coffee everyday because we "deserve it" and need to "treat ourselves".

No one owes me these things. There is only one thing that I deserve.

I deserve hell.

Anything better than this is grace. I should be overflowing with thanks that God is not heaping his wrath upon me at every moment. That is what I deserve. But He has given so much more than that. He has not just wiped away my sin and made me clean; He sees me as He sees Christ. I am not just in a neutral zone with God. He has blessed me with every spiritual blessing in Christ (Ephesians 1:3). Imagine that. Thank God that we are not given what we really "deserve".

No comments:

Post a Comment